Across the Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital system more than a thousand registered nurses set the standard of excellence in inpatient, outpatient, administrative and research settings. To honor their commitment, compassion and courage, we celebrated Nurses Week from May 6 – 12 under the national theme of “Inspire, Innovate, Influence.”
The week kicked off with a special Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital night at Tropicana Field to watch the Rays take on the Blue Jays. Tracey Dahill, R.N., a clinical nurse in perioperative services, threw out the first pitch, wearing her favorite Rays scrubs.
Events continued through the week with a celebratory breakfast, a fun green screen photo booth, ice cream social, tea and coffee carts around campus to provide a pick-me-up for staff and the spiritual care team traveled to clinical areas to perform the blessing of the hands. The Child Life Activity Center celebrated a Nurse Appreciation Day with thank you cards and nurse-themed BINGO for patients and families.
During Research Day, a display of 25 original posters highlighted an assortment of quality improvement projects, evidenced-based projects, innovation and research studies conducted by Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital staff over the past year. The following nurses also gave podium presentations on their ribbon-winning research:
- Third Place: Sherry Belcher, A Phenomenological Study of the Lived Experience of Parents Caring for Children with Asthma
- Second Place: Cindy Driscoll, Oncology Care Coordination Pilot Project
- First Place: Sondra Boatman, Safety Through Simulation: Parents gain confidence in emergency tracheostomy care through clinical simulation
There was also time to give back to the community with volunteer opportunities at the St. Petersburg Free Clinic, Tampa Bay Watch and Edible Peace Patch at Fairmount Park Elementary and a lunch and learn with Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
The festivities concluded with the annual Nursing Excellence Awards ceremony to celebrate outstanding efforts of nurses. Congratulations to these winners:
- Compassionate and Safe Care: Olena Pasishnyk
- Collaborative Practice: Madison Mote
- Curiosity and Innovation: Rosemary Pfeifer and Cindy Brown
- Academic Growth and Development: Hillary Simpson
- Visionary Leader: Ed Gerard
In addition to the Nursing Excellence Awards, several other awards were presented. Congratulations to:
- Preceptor of the Year award winners: Branden Shane (8 South), Spencer Brown (CVICU) and Bharat Somanath (Emergency Center)
- Daisy Award for the month of April: Kelsie McCleary
- Nursing Research Mentor of the Year: Kristina Burger
- Scholarship Recipients: Danielle Campbell (NICU), Mary Kamin (7 North), Kaylee McVey (Sarasota), Stacey Petroff (NICU), Latasha Robinson (Emergency Center), Paige Ward (Pre-OP), Kristin Yingling (Emergency Center)