Explore. Discover. Practice: The child life specialist preparation track at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hosptial.
Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital is pleased to offer two distinct informational seminars for those interested in learning more about or entering the child life field.
Seminar 1: EXPLORE CHILD LIFE
This introductory program is designed for those considering the child life profession and who want to learn more about this exciting, dynamic field. High school juniors/seniors, college students, student nurses, and other college graduates are welcome to participate. Through participation in this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Explore the field of child life and define a CCLS
- Understand the role of child life in a hospital setting
- Learn how to pursue a career in child life
- Explore resources and tools of the child life field
- Experience the a therapeutic activity
- Tour Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital (on-campus events, only)
UPCOMING SEMINARS DATES:
October 26, 2021 2-4:30 PM (Virtual)
May 10, 2022 1-5:30 PM (Tentatively--In Person in St. Petersburg, FL)
Seminar 1 Registration
Seminar 2: DISCOVER CHILD LIFE
This seminar is designed for those who have already determined that they want to enter the child life profession, but who have not completed a clinical internship. Prior to attending this seminar, it is recommended that participants
- attend Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital's "Explore Child Life" seminar and/or
- begin required coursework to enter the child life profession.
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the necessary academic/experiential learning steps required to enter the child life profession
- Brainstorm individual preferences when applying/accepting an internship site
- Understand common interview questions and a structure of how to respond
- Analyze key psychosocial factors from a case study in efforts to begin formulating a child life plan of care
- Verbalize the impact of a therapeutic activity on a patient’s coping
Participants will also have the ability to participate in a question/answer session with child life specialists.
UPCOMING SEMINARS DATES:
March 1, 2022 1:30-4:30pm (Virtual)
August 2, 2022 1:30-4:30pm (Virtual)
Register for the upcoming events below. Please provide an accurate email address to receive your invitation for the seminar. Registration for future dates will be posted after the previous session has concluded.
Seminar 2 Registration