2 links of Mexican chorizo
1 c. onion, diced (about ½ large onion)
2 cubanelle peppers*, diced
3 cups winter squash, peeled, seeded and diced
2 c. chopped kale
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. chili powder
1 c. cilantro leaves
10 10” whole wheat tortillas
2 cups grated cheese (jack, cheddar or “Mexican” blend)
About 1 T. butter
Optional – top with guacamole or sour cream
*Use a combination of cubanelle and Hungarian wax or pablano for an extra kick!
1. Heat skillet to medium. Remove the casing from the chorizo, add to the pan and cook, breaking it up with the spatula, until it is done.
2. Add the squash and cook covered, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the onions and peppers and cover, continuing to cook until the squash is tender. Fold in the kale until it wilts.
4. Add the veggies and chorizo to a bowl and mix in the seasoning and cilantro. Let the pan cool enough to wipe it clean with a paper towel. Meanwhile, prepare the quesadillas – put about 1/2 cup of the mixture on half of a flat tortilla and sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Fold over to create a half circle.
5. Heat the skillet to medium low. Add about a teaspoon of butter and swirl to coat the pan. Add the quesadillas, cooking several quesadillas at a time, carefully flipping the quesadillas after 2 minutes so that the tortillas brown and the cheese melts.