The purpose of the Family Advisory Council (FAC) is to partner families with hospital leaders to enhance the practice of relationship-centered care at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital (JHACH). The following recommendations will promote a stronger partnership between the FAC and Johns Hopkins All Children's leaders that will serve as a platform for process improvement initiatives that impact care across the continuum.
What We Do
The FAC works to promote patient centered care and to help hospital personnel understand the diverse needs of our patients and families. FAC members volunteer their time and perspective to help enhance the patient experience throughout the Johns Hopkins All Children's Health System.
Family Advisory Council members give feedback on topics that include:
The Family Advisory Council provides a voice from our patients and families.
- Interactions with the environment of JHACH
- Communication with caregivers
- Coordination of Care
- Creating a child friendly experience
Accomplishments from the past year include:
- Provided feedback for "no show" poster campaign to encourage outpatient appointment cancellations
- Presented concerns that prompted process improvement plan to clearly identify and delineate non-JHACH MD Practices via signage and directory information. Led to implementation of JHACH uniforms for Office Assistants
- Contributed feedback for Patient-Centered aspect of Patient Experience Strategic Plan measured by HCAHPS question: Provider asked you about things that you know best about your child.
- Shared experiences with the Health Portal and barriers to using it. Feedback was used to refine the process of signing parents up to use the Portal, and increase the functionality of it as a communication tool that can be used to prepare families and the MD Offices for outpatient appointments.
What your involvement means:
As a member of the FAC, you are representing the voice of the patient experience. This means regular participation in our meetings with the following expectations:
- Serve a two-year term
- Attend monthly meetings from September to June - 3rd Tuesday of each month (6:15 p.m.-8 p.m.)
- Attend four quarterly meetings with institute and department leadership - October, January, March and May (5:00 p.m. - 6 p.m.)
- Commitment to serve as the voice of the patient and family experience
Apply Today to be a part of the Family Advisory Council