Play is an important part of the healing process and helps children cope with the stress and challenges of hospitalization. Your donations to the Child Life department will be given to patients and family members during their hospital visit to provide comfort, offer distractions and to normalize the hospital setting.
With patient health & safety being our top priority, our donation safety guidelines should be reviewed prior to scheduling your donation as they allow us to ensure the highest level of quality and safety for our patients.
Toy Donation Safety Guidelines
In order to maintain a safe environment for our patients and families, all donations must follow these guidelines:
- All donations must be brand new, odor-free, in original packaging and purchased within the last 6 months.
- We cannot accept the following:
- Used (including gently used) toys or clothing
- Toys or stuffed animals that have been exposed to smoke
- Collector items that have been gathered and stored over a significant period of time (sports cards, Beanie Babies, etc.)
- Handmade get-well cards, greeting cards and holiday cards
- Items containing latex (balloons, rubber balls, art supplies, etc.)
- Violent themed items (items containing guns, knives, swords, blood, violence, etc.)
- Racially and/or culturally insensitive items
- Gift wrapped items (items will be unwrapped prior to being given to patients)
- Religious themed items or messages
- New or used medical supplies or equipment
- Food, candy, beverages, etc.
Our Most In Demand Items
Our most needed items are updated quarterly by the child life staff as the needs of our patient population vary throughout the year.
- Infant toys
- Adolescent/teen specific items (such as adult coloring books, advanced craft kits, etc.)
- Action figures
- Cards and board games (such as UNO, Monopoly, Candy Land, etc.)
- Remote control cars and trucks
For a complete list of suggested donation items, please see our toy donation wish list.
You can also access our Child Life Amazon wish list online here.
Sewn, Knitted & Crocheted Handmade Items
The health and safety for our patients and families is our top priority. All handmade cloth donations must follow the guidelines below.
Schedule a Donation Drop-Off
Donations must be scheduled prior to drop-off. To schedule an appointment, please click on the link below. If you experience any issues while attempting to schedule an appointment for donation drop-off, please call the Child Life department at 727-767-4323.
Schedule a Donation Drop-off
You can also mail items to:
Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital
Child Life Department
501 6th Ave. S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
If you have additional questions regarding toy donations, please complete the form below and a member of our team will contact you.
Do you plan to hold an event associated with your toy/item donation (like a toy drive or fundraiser)?
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about toy and item donations, please call the Child Life department at the number below.
Johns Hopkins All Children's Foundation