Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 1 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 c. canned black beans
- 4 tbsp. chunky salsa
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh tomato
- 2 tbsp. diced avocado
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 c. romaine lettuce
What to do:
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Be sure not to skip this step; draining and rinsing canned beans can reduce their sodium content by 40%.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salsa, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Top each tortilla evenly with the cooked rice, black beans, and salsa mixture; then microwave for 30-40 seconds each.
- To serve, top each tortilla with lettuce and roll into a burrito.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 250 calories
- 9g protein
- 5g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 44g carbohydrate
- 7g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 640mg sodium
- 1g sugars
Serving size: 1 burrito
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Healthy fats (unsaturated fats) are used to fuel a baby's growth and development. They are especially important for the development of the brain and nervous system. Healthy fats are found in olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, and salmon. While fat is necessary in any healthy diet, it's important to limit fat intake to 30% or less of your daily calorie intake.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com