Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This meal is a good source of protein and fiber. It tastes even better the next day!
Prep time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle peppers, minced
- 16 ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
What to do:
- Heat skillet and add olive oil.
- Add onion and cumin powder and saute until onion is softened.
- Add chicken breast and toss to coat in oil, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on top of stove for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 355 calories
- 2g fat
- 1g sat fat
- 36g protein
- 46g carbohydrate
- 9g fiber
- 66mg cholesterol
- 558mg sodium
- 58mg calcium
- 3.8mg iron
Serving size: 4 ounces of chicken and 1-1/3 cups of beans and rice mixture
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This can be served with yellow or brown rice. Consider sprinkling soy cheddar cheese over the top of this dish. You can substitute fresh hot green chile peppers or canned hot chile peppers for chipotle peppers.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com