First Aid

    Nearly 90% of childhood poisonings happen in the home and most can be treated at home with advice from the poison control center. However, it's important to know when a poisoning is serious enough to need medical treatment.

    Signs and Symptoms

    • drowsiness
    • sudden change in behavior
    • unusual odor
    • pill fragments on the lips or clothes
    • excessive drooling
    • vomiting
    • a confused mental state
    • listlessness

    What to Do

    • If you suspect that your child has taken a poison and he or she is alert, contact your local poison control center right away for advice (1-800-222-1222).

    Seek Emergency Medical Care or Call 911

    If:

    • your child has taken a poison and has a change in mental state. It's important to remember to bring the specific bottle or container of the substance that your child ingested. Do not give a child ipecac.

    Think Prevention!

    To help prevent poisoning:

    • Keep medicines in locked cabinets.
    • Keep cleaning products and alcohol in locked cabinets or far out of reach.
    • Discard (or recycle) used button cell batteries (like those in watches) safely and store unused ones far from children's reach.
    • Never tell a child that medicine tastes like candy.
    • Never put cleaning products in containers that were once used for food or drink.
    • Never put rodent poison on the floor.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com