First Aid

    Most childhood poisonings happen in the home. They usually can be treated at home with advice from the poison control center. But it's important to know when a poisoning is serious enough to need medical treatment.

    Signs and Symptoms

    • drowsiness
    • sudden change in behavior
    • unusual odor
    • pill pieces on the lips or clothes
    • heavy drooling
    • vomiting
    • confusion

    What to Do

    • If you think that your child has taken a poison and he or she is alert, contact your local poison control center right away for advice (1-800-222-1222).

    Get Emergency Medical Care or Call 911 if:

    • Your child has taken a poison and isn't acting normally. It's important to bring the bottle or container of the pills or liquid that your child took. Don't give a child ipecac.

    Think Prevention!

    To help prevent poisoning:

    • Keep medicines in locked cabinets.
    • Keep cleaning products and alcohol in locked cabinets or far out of reach.
    • Discard (or recycle) used button cell batteries (like those in remote controls) safely. Store unused ones far from children's reach.
    • Never tell a child that medicine tastes like candy.
    • Never put cleaning products in containers that were once used for food or drink.
    • Never put rodent poison on the floor.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com