Learn More

Is you child struggling with eczema?

    I've had bad eczema for almost 4 years now. My arms and hands are now scarred from scratching over the years and they look even worse when they get red and inflamed. It looks really bad and it's embarrassing beyond belief. Is there a safe way to get rid of the scars without causing further irritation?

    You'll probably need a doctor's help to treat your scarring properly. Your best bet is to make an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she may be able to give you a prescription cream or ointment you can rub on your skin to help minimize scarring.

    If the scarring is severe, the dermatologist may suggest some other options (such as dermabrasion or laser resurfacing) after examining your eczema. Dermatologists don't recommend these options for everyone. It all depends on your eczema and the type of scarring.

    Scars often fade in time. Some never go away completely, though. If scars don't fade after a while, some people choose to see a plastic surgeon.

    When you talk to your dermatologist about scar treatment, ask about creams to control the itching. Not scratching in the first place will reduce your chances of further scarring, and there may be a new cream or treatment that can help you.

    *Names have been changed to protect user privacy.

Allergy Sufferers

Is your child experiencing eczema or scarring? Request an appointment with a Johns Hopkins All Children's Pediatric Allergy Specialist.
Pediatric Allergy Services
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com