Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Serve this alone or add vegetables on the side. This high-calorie meal tastes even better the next day.
Prep time: 75 minutes
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8-1/2-ounce box cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8-1/2-ounce can creamed corn
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) .
- In medium skillet, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook approximately 10 minutes until tender, but not brown.
- Add cumin, chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon to skillet.
- Add ground beef and cook at medium high heat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add red kidney beans and tomatoes to meat mixture and remove from heat.
- Spoon beef mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top of meat.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn.
- Pour cornbread batter over top of meat and cheese. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cornbread is golden brown.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 750 calories
- 33g protein
- 46g fat
- 1162mg sodium
- 370mg calcium
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can cut this recipe in half and make cornbread muffins with the leftover batter.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com