Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This breakfast is packed with calories and protein to provide a significant amount of energy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
What you need:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 small cooked sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1/2 flour tortilla, cut into 1" squares
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped vegetables (onions and green or red peppers)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- cayenne pepper (optional)
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and heavy whipping cream with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add cooked sausage, tortillas, cheese, and chopped vegetables to the egg mixture and stir until blended.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add egg mixture to skillet.
- As the eggs begin to set, stir the eggs slightly so that the uncooked portion flows to the bottom.
- Cook until the eggs are no longer runny, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cayenne pepper to taste.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 591 calories
- 29g protein
- 43g fat
- 825mg sodium
- 297mg calcium
Serving size: 1-1/2 cups
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with toast and lots of butter.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com