We provide multidisciplinary care and follow-up for children who need heart surgery.
Children with congenital heart defects need expert care from a team specially trained to understand a child’s unique needs. Our board-certified pediatric heart surgeons have experience in caring for children of all ages with heart defects, from newborns to young adults.
They work closely with a comprehensive care team that includes pediatric cardiologists, pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists, cardiac critical care physicians, nurses and others so that patients receive consistent care from the time of their diagnosis through follow-up after surgery.
Among the procedures the team performs are:
- Aortic valve repair/replacement
- Arterial switch operation for transposition of the great arteries
- Atrial septal defect repair
- AV septal defect repair
- Bi-directional Glenn procedure
- Coarctation of aorta repair
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Fontan procedure
- Heart transplant
- Mitral valve repair/replacement
- Patent ductus arteriosus repair
- Pulmonary valve replacement
- Surgical treatment for hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Tetralogy of Fallot repair
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection
- Truncus arteriosus repair
- Tricuspid valve repair
- Ventricular assist device (VAD)
- Ventricular septal defect repair
What to Expect
Before surgery, your child will have a preoperative appointment to make sure he or she is ready for surgery and so you can ask the medical team any questions you may have.
Learn more about What to Expect
After surgery, your child will be cared for in the hospital’s dedicated cardiovascular intensive care unit (CVICU) by our cardiac critical care physicians, and other specialists as needed.
Learn more about the CVICU
Patient and Family Support
We work to support your child and family during all stages of your child’s treatment. Find out more about the resources available to you.
Meet Our Team
Learn more about our experienced, board-certified heart surgeons.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call us.
Five-month-old Lukas is on the road to a promising recovery with care from the multidisciplinary team in the Johns Hopkins All Children’s Heart Institute.