The Chest Wall Deformity program at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital provides an innovative approach to the treatment of chest wall deformities, including pectus excavatum.
The Johns Hopkins All Children’s Chest Wall Deformity program diagnoses, evaluates and treats children with common and complex chest wall deformities, including pectus excavatum, pectus carinatum, slipping rib syndrome and congenital rib anomalies. Our surgeons use the latest surgical and care techniques and work closely with specialists across our hospital to provide patients and families with the highest quality of care.
Although chest wall deformities are fairly common, they can have a major impact on a child’s health. Whether the chest sinks in or protrudes out, the result can influence a child’s ability to breathe, exercise and even change how a child feels about his or her appearance. Our team is committed to our patients living a healthy and active lifestyle and provide each patient with the personalized care he or she needs.
Our team offers surgical and non-surgical treatments tailored to our patients' needs and treats a wide range of chest wall deformities, including:
- Pectus excavatum: a sunken chest or funnel chest
- Pectus carinatum: the chest protrudes out
- Slipping rib syndrome: the cartilage on the lower ribs slips and moves
- Congenital rib anomalies: often associated with congenital deformities of the spine
- Jeune syndrome: the rib cage is smaller and narrower than usual
- Poland syndrome: the chest muscle is underdeveloped or absent
Why Choose Johns Hopkins All Children’s?
Our pediatric surgeons are trained in the latest treatments and offer:
- Advanced surgical experience. Nicole Chandler, M.D., and Paul Danielson, M.D., are both leaders in the minimally invasive procedures used to treat some of the most complex chest wall deformities.
- Personalized care. Our surgeons take a whole-team approach to treating conditions. We work alongside specialists and subspecialists across our hospital, including cardiology, pulmonology, anesthesiology, pain management specialists and genetics, and are ready to meet a patient's needs all in one location.
- An innovative approach to treatment. Our team is specially trained in minimally invasive procedures, such as the Nuss procedure, to repair some of the most complex deformities.
- Comprehensive care. We have access to pediatric specialists and subspecialists throughout our hospital and can provide a seamless transition for patients who need additional specialty care beyond our services.
- Excellent patient outcomes. Our team achieves a success rate that inspires families to travel hundreds of miles for care.
Call toll-free 800-456-4543 , ext. 4170.
We know you want what's best for your child. We're ready to assist you with your questions.
Request an appointment
Complete our online form and our team will reach out to you shortly to schedule an appointment.