Helping children with a range of conditions improve their functional abilities.
For children with sensory, neurological or orthopaedic conditions, aquatic therapy can help enhance their functional abilities.
The aquatic occupational and physical therapists at Johns Hopkins All Children’s are licensed and specialize in aquatic pediatric therapy, which serves as a supplement to your child’s land-based occupational or physical therapy.
We work with patients in one-on-one treatment sessions, and use aquatic and land-based techniques, including myofascial release, neuro-developmental treatment, sensory motor integration and functional motor skills depending on the child’s individual condition. Our aquatic therapists are also certified in water safety and CPR.
Aquatic therapy can help improve your child’s:
- Joint mobility and range of motion
- Muscle flexibility and tone management
- Head and trunk control
- Motor coordination and balance
- Attention span and sensory motor integration
- Respiratory rate and respiratory function
- Circulation and blood supply to muscles
- Symmetry, strength and endurance
- Self-esteem, confidence and motivation
Locations and facilities
The aquatic therapy program is provided at The Long Center in Clearwater and St. Anthony’s Resource Center in St. Petersburg.
These facilities provide indoor therapeutic heated pools (92-94 degrees F) that are 3.5 feet deep. The pools are handicapped accessible via water wheelchair ramps or lifts.
What to bring to your child’s aquatic therapy session:
- Swimsuit and swim shirt
- Bottle of water
- Water diapers or rubber pants (for incontinence)
- Non-skid slippers or water shoes (optional)
- Lock for locker (optional)
For more information on aquatic therapy or to make an appointment, please call 727-767-4257. A referral is needed for aquatic therapy.
Medical records may be faxed to 727-767-8847.
For more information on aquatic therapy or to make an appointment, give us a call.
Request an appointment
Complete our online form and our team will reach out to you shortly to schedule an appointment.