Medical Explorers is a program offered by Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital to young men and women in grades 10th – 12th with an interest in learning more about careers in the health care field.
Monthly Programs Include:
- Speaking with residents and attending physicians about medical education
- Visiting departments within the hospital
- Listening to doctors, nurses and other health care professionals speak about their jobs
Medical Explorers meet on the third Wednesday of every month during the school year from 4-6:00 p.m.
Medical Explorer Requirements
- Must be in grades 10th-12th
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- Must provide $60 dues (includes all Medical Explorers’ activities and shirt)
- Check or money order made out to ‘Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital’ (no cash)
- Dues waived with proof of free/reduced lunch program
- Must be able to commit to attending monthly meetings; missing no more than two meetings
- Parent/legal guardian permission form must be signed
How to Apply
Applications will be available here starting September 6th and will be received through September 13th.
Your Application must include:
- Your completed application form
- One academic letter of recommendation
- A one-page essay*, including:
- Why you want to become a Medical Explorer
- Your personal and career goals
- Highlights of your recent achievements involving volunteer and academic experiences
*Typed with 12 point font, single-spaced, one-inch margins, and grammatically correct
Medical Explorers Open House
Join us for the 2017-2018 program open house on September 6th at 4:00pm in our Education & Conference Center. Students and their families will learn more about the program and also meet the staff.
If you have any questions, please contact Volunteer Resources at 727-767-4254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.