Medical Explorers is program offered by Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital to young men and women in grades 10th – 12th with an interest in learning more about careers in the health care field.
Monthly Programs Include:
- Speaking with residents and attending physicians about medical education
- Visiting departments within the hospital
- Listening to doctors, nurses and other health care professionals speak about their jobs
Medical Explorers meet on the third Wednesday of every month during the school year from 4-6:00 p.m.
Medical Explorer Requirements
- Must be in grades 10th-12th
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- Must provide $60 dues (includes all Medical Explorers’ activities and shirt)
- Check or money order made out to ‘Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital’ (no cash)
- Dues waived with proof of free/reduced lunch program
- Must be able to commit to attending monthly meetings
- Parent/legal guardian permission form must be signed
How to Apply
Applications for the 2016-2017 Medical Explorers program are closed. Students will be notified of their acceptance in early October. If accepted, the first meeting will be held October 19, 2016.
Your Application must include:
- Your completed application form
- One academic letter of recommendation
- A one-page essay*, including:
- Why you want to become a Medical Explorer
- Your personal and career goals
- Highlights of your recent achievements involving volunteer and academic experiences
*Typed with 12 point font, single-spaced, one-inch margins, and grammatically correct
Medical Explorers Open House
Johns Hopkins All Children's hosts an annual open house towards the beginning of the school year. Students and their families attend to learn more about our program and to also meet the staff. Check this space in the summer for details on the 2017-2018 open house.
If you have any questions, please contact Government, Corporate & Community Relations at 727-767-4474.