Is your child safe on every ride?
A car seat is one of the best ways you can protect your child while traveling, but searching for the right one isn't an easy task. Our classes and individual appointments (checks) will help guide you in your decision-making process and teach you how to install and use your car seat correctly. You will also learn when to transition your child to another seat and how to keep your child safe as he or she grows.
If you plan to obtain a low-cost seat you should meet the following criteria:
- The car seats are designated for families who are not able to purchase a car seat at a regular cost.
- If your child already has a seat, he/she is not eligible for another seat (for another vehicle). The seats are for children who currently do not have a seat or are outgrowing their current car seat.
- While this is not checked, many parents obtaining car seats have some governmental assistance, such as Medicaid, WIC food stamps or a Healthy Start referral.
Seats available for participant are convertible seats, which accommodate children from infancy (rear-facing starting at 5lbs) to the forward-facing (up to 65lbs). Donations of $20 per car seat are collected at classes (cash or money orders only). The donation amount may vary accommodating special circumstances such as high weight limit or special referral.
Supplies are limited to one car seat per child and appointments are required.
Information and Registration
- A nationally certified child passenger safety technician teaches all classes and will also assist you as you install your car seat in your vehicle.
- Classes are offered during the month at various times.
- All appointments must be scheduled online.
Schedule your appointment at
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Outpatient Care, East Lake (in Palm Harbor)
- Johns Hopkins All Children’sOutpatient Care, Lakeland
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Outpatient Care, Pasco
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital Outpatient Care, Sarasota
- Johns Hopkins All Children’sOutpatient Care, Tampa
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital Main Campus, St. Petersburg
- If you have a car seat but want to use it correctly
Check locations near you for a car seat check appointment. While class is not mandatory to have your car seat checked, if there is no "car seat check" available in your area, you are still welcome to attend a class and have your seat checked at the end. the information you obtain in class is also shared at checks.
- For guidance relating to car seat costs and/or selecting the right fit for your child or if you have any other questions, please contact us at 1-800-756-7233 Ext. 4.
If you need a car seat and cannot obtain one for a regular cost
View Available Classes
Please check locations near you for dates and times of classes. You are not eligible for a check up appointment. These are for caregivers that already have a seat. To obtain a seat you must attend a "class."
- Additional Safe Kids Car Seat Class and Checks Locations
- Hispanic Outreach Center (Class is done in Spanish Only - call 727-562-4143)
- Sunstar EMS Headquarters (Largo)
- Sunstar EMS South Hub (St Petersburg)
- Lealman Fire District
- Bradenton Fire Department
- Southern Manatee Fire Rescue
- Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue
- If you have questions about this program, please call 800-756-7233 (Extension 4) or 727-767-7835.