Protect yourself and your family from the flu. Get the flu vaccine today.
All Children’s Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine encourages patients and families to get the flu vaccination. The flu vaccine is the most effective way to protect against the flu and it’s potential complications.
Here’s what you should know:
The best ways to protect against the flu:
- Get the flu vaccine yearly for everyone in your family 6 months and older.
- Wash your hands often.
- Cover your coughs & sneezes.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose & mouth
Flu symptoms for children can include:
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sometimes vomiting and diarrhea
Children are at greater risk for flu-related complications if they have the following conditions:
- Chronic lung conditions like asthma or cystic fibrosis
- Neurological disorders like seizures
- Heart disease
- Blood disorders like sickle cell disease
- Endocrine disorders like diabetes
- Kidney disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- Weakened immune system
- Receiving long-term aspirin therapy
- Children younger than 5