Recognized as a Top 50 Neurology and Neurosurgery Program by U.S. News & World Report 2021-2022
If your family faces neurological challenges or disorders, you want a partner in designing a plan that addresses your child’s needs. Our team offers the full spectrum of neurological services. Whether your child experiences headaches, seizures or developmental challenges, our team of pediatric neurology specialists can help develop a plan that is right for your child’s care.
What you can expect
We treat your child and your family as part of our own. We understand this can be a very difficult and scary time for the entire family. From your child’s initial diagnosis through long-term follow-up care, we pledge to provide compassionate, comprehensive support to the entire family. We offer:
- A talented team of specialists, including a board-certified pediatric neurologist, neurosurgeons, epilepsy specialists, psychiatrists, developmental medicine specialists, concussion specialists and more, all at one convenient location
- State-of-the-art technology, including minimally invasive robotic-assisted stereotactic electroencephalogram (EEG) to identify the source of seizures in children with epilepsy and robotic epilepsy monitoring
- Botox injection therapy to reduce spasticity (tight, stiff muscles that make movement difficult or uncontrollable) and headaches in children with certain medical conditions
- Our ketogenic clinic is staffed with an experienced epileptologist and dietitian to provide guidance and education to patients and their families dealing with refractory seizures
Conditions we treat include
- Epilepsy Care, including both surgical and nonsurgical options
- New onset seizures
- Muscular dystrophy
- Sleep medicine
- Movement disorders
Johns Hopkins All Children's also has pediatric neurology hospitalists who specialize in providing neurology care to hospitalized patients and those in an outpatient setting who are transitioning back to their regular providers. We also draw upon the valuable expertise of Johns Hopkins All Children’s pediatric radiology and diagnostic imaging services, including MRI and neuroradiology.
As members of the Johns Hopkins All Children’s Institute for Brain Protection Sciences, our team works closely with the pediatric neurosurgeons and neuroimaging, neuro-oncology and neuropathology specialists.
Getting ready for your child’s appointment:
Before your child’s appointment, we will ask you to help us obtain your previous evaluations, including written records, MRIs of the brain and EEG studies (usually on disks).
Our evaluation includes an initial appointment where a member of the IBPS team will examine the child and go over your child's history. They will then personally review the MRI of the brain and EEGs provided and decide if further evaluation is necessary.
Generally further evaluations can be performed at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital.
Depending on the reason for your child’s visit, if your child has not had an EEG prior, we may coordinate your first appointment to have an EEG performed before your visit with the neurologist.
For more information or to make an appointment, please give us a call at the phone number below. You can also use our online contact form, and a member of our team will follow up with you to assist with your questions.
Read more about our program:
Thomas Geller, M.D., talks about his early interest in medicine and what led him to become a pediatric neurologist.
Jimmy, who began having seizures about five years ago, is the first patient at Johns Hopkins All Children’s to be treated for epilepsy with this surgical procedure.
November is epilepsy awareness month. Jennifer Avallone, D.O., explains what epilepsy is, signs and symptoms of epilepsy in children, and when to seek medical attention.