The Pediatric Sports Rehabilitation program, a key component of the AllSports Medicine Program at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, helps young athletes return to play after injury.
What is Pediatric Sports Rehabilitation?
The Sports Rehabilitation program, a key component of the AllSports Medicine Program at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, helps athletes return to play after injury.
It addresses injuries that occur among athletes involved in any sport such as:
- and more!
The sports rehab team at Johns Hopkins All Children's is made up of physical therapists, occupational therapists, and athletic trainers who are experts not only in sports rehabilitation, but specifically pediatric sports rehabilitation. The team collaborates with the referring physician to maximize results. We specialize in the treatment of acute and chronic sports injuries, and address underlying areas of concern to prevent future injuries.
Now serving a new location:
Hours of operation:
8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
For more information or
to set up an appointment: Call 813-910-5140
- A one-on-one sports injury assessment based on the athlete's physical and skeletal maturity, skill level, and performance goals
- Individualized treatment to return the athlete back to his/her sport in a healthy, competitive condition, prepared with the knowledge and skill to avoid re-injury
- Personalized therapeutic exercise program designed to increase physical performance through improving flexibility, range of motion, strength, coordination, and endurance
- Treatment period is often of short duration
- Requires commitment on the part of the athlete and parent to consistently perform the home exercise program
Why is Sports Rehabilitation Important?
Beginning therapy early allows the athlete to benefit from manual soft tissue and joint mobilization to decrease the initial pain and inflammation resulting from an injury. Treating sports injuries purely with medication and rest does not target the strength and skills required to return to a sport and decrease the risk of re-injury. Johns Hopkins All Children's blends therapists' unique knowledge of orthopedics and pediatric growth & development with a certified athletic trainers' distinct knowledge of sport-specific demands. This sports rehabilitation approach is used to provide comprehensive care of the athlete from initial injury to return to sport.
How Do I Get Started?
Request a Sports Rehab appointment online!
- Request a prescription from your doctor for "Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment" or "Occupational Therapy Evaluation and Treatment" (for wrist and hand injuries) and call 727-767-7678 to schedule an evaluation.
- The evaluation will be provided by a therapist with specialized training and experience helping children and adolescents with sports injuries or orthopedic conditions.
- This will be followed by a team approach to treatment and rehabilitation by the physical therapist, occupational therapist, and/or athletic trainer. The Johns Hopkins All Children's Sports Rehabilitation team will provide care and treatment worthy of today's and tomorrow's top athletes.