Cystic Fibrosis And Care

The Cystic Fibrosis Center cares for more than 175 pediatric patients in St. Petersburg, Tampa, Sarasota and surrounding areas.

Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic Fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disease that affects the body in multiple organ systems by producing thick mucus in varying organ systems. This can cause chronic sinus tract infections, respiratory infections, malabsorption disorders, increased metabolic demand, pancreatic dysfunction and potential sterility in males.

Each parent, known as a carrier, passes a defective gene to the child, causing cystic fibrosis. If both parents are known to be carriers, there is a 25 percent chance (1 in 4) that a child will have CF. There is a 50 percent chance (2 in 4) that the child will carry one copy of a gene, and a 25 percent chance (1 in 4) that the child will not have CF nor be a carrier.

Currently, there are over 30,000 people living with cystic fibrosis in the U.S. There are over 2,100 known genetic mutations that cause CF, with the most common being F508del.

What is CF?

It is a progressive, genetic (inherited) disease that causes persistent lung infections and limits the ability to breathe over time. 

For more information about Cystic Fibrosis, click here.

The symptoms and severity of CF vary. If you or your child has the disease, you may have serious lung and digestive problems. If the disease is mild, symptoms may not show up until the teen or adult years. To learn more, click here.